This inter-disciplinary one-day conference, co-hosted with Nuffield College, looks at questions in egalitarian theory and practice, exploring the history of egalitarian theory, the varieties of egalitarian theories, and issues of policy and implementation.
Please note: This event will be held online via Zoom and streamed on Youtube. All times shown are in GMT. Register below to receive a link to join the conference.
Session 1: 13:30–14:20 (Chair: Teresa Bejan)
- David Wengrow (UCL): What, precisely, is equalized in 'egalitarian' societies?
Session 2: 14:30–15:20 (Chair: Jo Wolff)
- Teresa Bejan (Oriel College): Equality before egalitarianism
Session 3: 15:30–16:20 (Chair: Samuel Bagg)
- Anne Phillips (LSE): Equality as exclusion
Extended break: 16:20–17:00
Session 4: 17:00–17:50 (Chair: Jo Wolff)
- Samuel Bagg (Nuffield College): Negative egalitarianism
Session 5: 18:00–18:50 (Chair: Teresa Bejan)
- Charles Mills (CUNY): Equality of whom?
Session 6: 19:00–19:50 (Chair: Samuel Bagg)
- Jo Wolff (Blavatnik School): The point is to change it